Saturday, August 2, 2008

Spelling

from mom2adeline:

I've spent hours studying different spelling programs and didn't like any of them--thank goodness for online samples!! I have been using Dr. Fry's 1000 Instant Words--The most common words for teaching, reading, writing, and spelling. The book gets progressively harder and is divided into groups of five words. I usually ask her to learn 5 to 10 words at a time. She is free to pick her method for learning and then I ask her to spell for me. We've also used the dictionary for spelling. I just pick words and ask her to spell. We go over spelling rules as I encounter the need for it.

from mykidsmom8898:
I bought Spelling Power when we first started homeschooling about a 1 1/2 years ago, but for us personally it has been a waste of time and money. My son was in public school from K to the middle of 3rd grade, and I was surprised that he was never given much in the way of spelling test. He's a decent speller, but what works best for us is dictation. My son gets to practice his typing skills, learn good punctuation and practice his spelling. We are very relaxed homeschoolers so it works for us.

from cl-susanmercy:
We've been using Spelling Power for several years now. DD and I both like how the words are organized by spelling rule, and we also like that you don't have to drill a spelling list for a week and then test on Friday. Practicing just the words that trip her up has been a big boost for her! We did a a hiatus from Spelling Power for a few months (we took a trip down the Sequential Spelling road) but by mutual decision, returned to Spelling Power, which was a much better fit for us.

No comments: