Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Back to School" Traditions

from nancymc:
The week that school starts in our district, we have a "not back to school" week of fun. We get together with others from our homeschool group and do just a ton of stuff that entire week: swimming, bowling, goofy golf, last year we did a bat tour, this year we'll do a waterpark and maybe one of those indoor arcade type places, etc, etc. Just anything to celebrate NOT getting on that bus!

For our first day of actual school (which is usually a full week after the above), I always make chocolate chip pancakes with that horrible whipped topping in a can, drawn as a face. I typically have a bunch of balloons tied to their books, and little goofy gifts hidden in their stuff.

For lunch we have a dessert, which is unheard of.....one year I did a hot dog cake from FamilyFun, it looked just like a hot dog but was sweet, it was adorable. Not sure how or if to top THAT one, but it was fun.

That's all I can think of for now, mostly we try to make it fun and something to look forward to.

from kathlh:
This will be our 9th "not-back-to-school" day in September. We've varied what we've done over the years. Some years it's just a day to sleep in and have fast food for lunch while other years it's been afternoon movies or a full day of fun. I'm thinking of going into Toronto to the zoo or the Science Centre--both sure to be pretty quiet ;-) I haven't polled the troops on it yet, but I'm sure to get votes for either. I will probably do one on the first day of school and one on the following week. I had plans to do lots of trips in September of last year but family things got in the way. I have my fingers crossed for this year!

from momtomnie:
Our first year, we got up and made homemade cinnamon rolls and ate them as we watched the schoolbus go by. Now we live in a cul de sac so no school bus to watch, but we usually go to the park and meet with a homeschool group.

from teddiebear_hugs:
We have been homeschooling 3 years and haven't had any set traditions, until this year. We decided that we would make huge cinnamon rolls for lunch on the first day. Today was the first day, and the older daycare children's faces were a riot. They couldn't believe that they could eat cinnamon rolls for lunch. DS decided we should do this on the 1st day of school from now on. He actually said we should make cinnamon rolls for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the 1st day of school, but...I don't think so. ;-) The last day of school I plan on making a fancy cake or cupcakes, and having a graduation from 5th grade party. I like the idea of small presents on the 1st day. I might have to add that in next year. It would be exciting to get new pencils, colored line paper, colored pencils, etc.

from treddlesewingmachine:
Last year was the first year for us. Our virtual school didn't start until two weeks later than the public school, so we had fun going to the beach and stuff during that time. We will probably go to the Boardwalk this year (we can sleep in!) on one of the one ticket nights when most of the other kids have started school.

In the past I took photos of my daughter getting on and off the bus. Last year I had her make a sign with her grade, and "First Day" on it and we took some photos. She was really excited to start her new lessons, so we got started pretty much right away! I will probably do something similar with her and her brother this year. (Chocolate chip pancakes huh...I am not sure I want the sugar rush that brings - that will be the day we do go back to public school! Not that it is worse than the free breakfasts that they give to the kids who get free lunches!)

from bugsmomct:
Not really since we don't do school. But, several local hs groups do beach days right after Labor Day (still fairly warm, beaches are empty since kids are in school by then, parking fees go away) so we may do one or more of those. Otherwise, our years are not defined by the start of school (but I do love the back to school sales for stocking up on stuff that gets used a lot).

from two_girls_mom2007:
Yesterday was our first day for our PreKer and First Grader. I made signs saying "first day of first grade" and of PreK. I took a picture of each of them holding their sign. I did make a have a great year poster and hung up, and I cleaned out their pencil boxes and filled with new pencils and crayons. I set out a few surprises, like new erasable colored pencils that dd had wanted and a math bingo game and a workbook she didn't know I had bought. And I hung some new posters on the wall that they hadn't seen. I thought it was more fun for them to start the year with new interesting things to look at, and to be excited by them the first day. Most of the year, they help with the decor.

So I guess our only tradition is pictures :) But I do try to make the day special.

from hbbk20:
Field trips that week is great because you get the place to yourself as all the schoolers are getting locker assignments and bus schedules. Pictures are good too. I like the idea of having them wake up and having a backpack full of things to take out and work on at our table. Maybe some new Pajamas as we celebrate the idea that we don't have to be dressed and on a bus super early but can sit and have breakfast and books while the other kids have a 20-30 minute ride on a loud over stimulating over crowded bus. My kid always had headaches from the bus ride.

:) September is wonderful and still so nice outside, we also like to decorate for Fall....and celebrate that way.

from nutbunch:
We unschool so we don't start or stop school. On the first day the ps kids go back we go out for lunch and then go to the arcade. It is so quiet after the summer; it's great!

No comments: