Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sonlight

from thesummerhouse:

Have you looked at Sonlight? They use a lot of literature-you get to read to your kids. When my boys were young, they would color or draw while I read to them. I have 2 boys so I know they love to move. I would also suggest reading For the Children's Sake. She talks about doing 15 minutes per subject in the younger years.
My sons are now 14 and 16. I would just have to say...enjoy them now. It's all worth it and I would do it all again.
A friend told me about it when I started homeschooling 5 years ago. They scedule out the reading and lessons on either a 4 or 5 day plan. I use the 4 day and leave Fridays open for fun classes, field trips and dr. appts.
With Sonlight you won't have to spend much time planning. Take a look at their catalog-all real books. And it will be fun for you too.
Then add in maybe Horizon Math, Handwriting and some science and you are all set.

from cl-susanmercy:

We use Sonlight, and it's great--my kids do something active while I read to them--ride their scooters or bikes, swing, draw, build with Legos, make jewelry, play with clay, etc. I can't imagine making either one of them sitting for long periods of time. They can, of course, if necessary--but I save that for things away from home, like church, honors choir, etc.

from mommy24angels:

We bought the P3/4 Newcomer package and love it!!! We have a 2 and 3 yo so I thought we'd get lots of use out of them. I asked all the grandparents to chip in and bought it as a bday present when Colton turned 3 in April. I'd totally recommend it. Even my 10 and 13 yo listen in on some of the stories :-) Have fun!!!

from leach0976:
We have used pieces of P 3/4 this summer as a warm up for this fall when we will be using P 4/5. My kids love the collection books and we have read them over and over this summer! I didn't use an IG, we just did our own thing. I let the kids choose the stories, and some days we read 5 or 6 books other days we read only a couple of pages. My DD 3 (4 next month) loves all the stories we are reading, and our 5 and 6 yr old DS love them too. Even our 12 and 10 yr old love listening in for story time!

No comments: