Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dec 24 Away in a Manger

Dec 24 Away in a Manger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_In_a_Manger

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head.
The stars in the bright sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.

The cattle are lowing, the baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes;
I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle 'til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray;
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
And take us to Heaven to live with Thee there.

"Away in a Manger" was first published by James R. Murray in an 1885 Lutheran Sunday School book. The author of the first two stanzas is unknown, but it is certain that the third stanza was added in 1904 by New Yorker Dr. John McFarland.

Some attribute the song to Martin Luther. This confusion exists because Murray published it with the subtitle "Luther's Cradle Hymn (Composed by Martin Luther for his children and still sung by German mothers to their little ones)."

Craft: baby in a manger
Baby Jesus origami (Christmas Origami book)

No comments: