Friday, October 24, 2008

Toddler Entertainment Ideas

From two_girls_mom2007:

I don't have any toddlers around anymore. But I have this distinct memory of trying to scrapbook or put pictures in a photo album when my youngest was somewhere between one and two, and she would just grab everything on the table and throw it down and mix everything up. I also remember checking on her in her crib once, and she had gotten a copy of "Chica Chica Boom Boom" in her crib and ripped it into tiny little shreds. So I know one can be destructive!! I just found these for you. Hope something helps. The lists of activities look like they might be for a little older, but they may come in handy at some point. The first article is specifically about having a toddler, though I did just skim it.. So if it is bad, sorry!
http://chfweb.net/articles/week29.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sasschool/preschoolers.html
http://www.loveathome.com/homeschool/littleones.htm
http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/205/soqnas.html

From hbbk20:
I hate to say this...it gets such a bad rap, but does the TV calm him? Like a video? How about a mothers helper, will he play with another kid like a middle school aged home school friend? That would be helpful and maybe even helpful to the middle schooler to care for a child before going on to baby sit alone. Otherwise I did a lot of playpens, highchairs, bouncy chairs, gated off safe zones with toys and music and things to try and entertain the hoighly busy toddlers in my home, while I did my best to get anything else done, or an older kids homework time. Otherwise wait till Dad arrives hand him a busy toddler and do your school work at homework time. It is not easy with a toddler bouncy and busy but it can be done with some creative forethought and perhaps a little help. Remember....they are not toddlers for ever, and that busy stage can be re-focused much better as they age with Sports, Arts and other activity.

From a_and_b_c_for_me:

Right there with you with my 13 month old, who is just now giving up his morning nap and thus throwing our schedule for a loop. I do use nursing as a distraction for part of the time, but he'll only nurse for so long!
For sure, I'll be checking out the links in the above posts. I also just tolerate a certain amount of mess-making by him. Keeping snacks on-hand helps sometimes (but not always.) Finally, we do take breaks and resume some subjects once he's asleep in the early afternoon. It's harder that way for sure, and I still try to do as much as possible in the AM, but sometimes it's just easier that way. Flexibility is key. Too bad I'm not real good at that, lol!

No comments: